Sunday, August 14, 2011

Don't Take it for Granted

I am sure that by now most of you have heard of the tragic deaths resulting from the collapse of the stage for the Sugarland concert at the Indiana State Fair. Perhaps you have seen the video, or read the articles, or seen the pictures of the aftermath of that sudden, awful twist of nature. For those in it's path there was no advance warning, no time to do anything but watch their lives drastically change, and for some it was the end.

As I watched and re-watched, and re-watched the footage of the collapse there was but one thought that ran through my head, "That could have been anyone, including me." Those people didn't have time to go back and make their wrongs right, or to say "good-bye" to their loved ones. There was no opportunity for them to get things settled with God, that was their time, their last breath, their final call.

Often I find that it is easy for me to take life for granted. I just blow through it without a care or thought, not worrying about the consequences that it will have on my life or on others. I leave things undone or unkind words and actions left unforgiven. It is very easy to forget that eternity is only a heartbeat away. In the matter of a second I could be on the other side of life and never have the chance to forgive, ask forgiveness, finish what I started, or simply say, "I love you." We never know when our number will be called, make sure that your account is settled in Heaven. God desires for all to become His children, He wants us to have a home with Him when it is our time, but the only way for that to happen is for each one of us to personally admit our sins, realize we are in need of Savior, and to accept God's Son, Jesus into our hearts and ask Him to wash away our sins. Only then will any of us truly be prepared for eternity.

1 comment:

Our Journey said...

How tragic that is. We know death is real, but when seem to think that it is some far off thing. Something that happens when your 80 or 90 years old.

But the truth is death can happen at any moment, and we are not guaranteed another breath on this earth.

With all of this in mind it is a wonder that so many people still choose to reject Jesus. As I (Adam) just saw the video recently, all that could cross my mind was,I wonder how many of those people were saved. How many of those people thought they had years to get things right with God.

The next thought that went through my mind was, what if I lived in that town, that community? What if I went to school with those people?

How many of those people would I of told personally about Jesus?

May this motivate the lost to get saved. May this motivate the saved to seek the lost.

God Bless
Adam and Samantha