Saturday, November 12, 2011

Do not be Afraid of Their Faces

To say that what I believe isn't always popular is an understatement. And the last day or two have been difficult in that people want to crush what I believe and make me believe the way they do. I don't like that. Some have called me young and naive (I call them old and dumb, just I'm polite and don't say it to their face like they do to me). Unlike them, I have a fresh perspective on life. I'm not afraid to take a risk. I'll stick my neck out to go with the unpopular vote over the popular vote any day. Besides, their generation taught me that what is popular isn't always right, yet instead of practicing what they preach, they jump on me for following orders. (Yes, I am ranting, but I promise it's not going to last too long). If you haven't guessed, it has to do with politics (something I love and hate at the same time).

So needless to say, I've been struggling. Big. Time. This morning God reminded me that my hope is in Him, not in an earthly cause or person. "Why are you cast down, O my soul, and why are you in turmoil within me? Hope in God; for I shall again praise him, my salvation and my God." (Psalm 43:5 NKJV) Ah, what sweet comfort. He saved me from a pit of despair, why do I keep going back into it willingly? Silly me. But still, frustration held on to me just a tiny bit. Fact: I am young. Fact: I don't have a lot of experience. So who am I to go against these people who supposedly know a lot more than me. But God, in His loving way once again led me to a beautiful passage in Jeremiah. The great prophet is at this time young, and like me, feels inadequate. Listen to the exchange:

God: Before I formed you in the womb, I knew you; before you were born I sanctified you; I ordained you a prophet to the nations.
Jeremiah (I can imaging he's trembling a little bit and says in a shaky voice): "Ah, Lord God! Behold, I cannot speak, for I am a youth!"
There! He said it! He can't do it! Duh! He's too young! C'mon God! What are You thinking? 
But alas, God replies: Do not say, 'I am a youth,' for you shall go to all to whom I send you, and whatever I command you, you shall speak. Do not be afraid of their faces, for I am with you to deliver you.

Well, who can argue with that? Not Jeremiah, and definitely not me. God's calling isn't always easy, but He gives us what we need. He is with us and will deliver us.


No comments: