Monday, June 28, 2010

What is Love?

Let me preface this with the fact that this is not aimed at anyone at all. Some recent events in my life have caused me to want to come up with my own definition of what love is really about, and these are my findings and my opinions. So, with that being said, after much thought and research, here is my definition of love.


I did quite a bit of research, reading, and deep thinking to come up with this definition. I read Bible passages and articles people had written, as well as looking up definitions of numerous words, and I have formed my opinion on this topic from all of the digging I have done.

True love is not an object to be thrown away when imperfections are found. True love is a commitment to be there when the other person falls. It's a promise that no matter what happens you will always be there for each other, it is also a partnership of two people united together to face the world as one and sticking together in joy and sorrow. True love asks not, "What can I get?" but rather, "What can I give?" True love never fails.

True love sees past the imperfections of a sin cursed human being, to the real inward beauty of the other person. Love accepts the person as they are – not as they want him or her to be. It doesn’t try to change the person into what they should be; rather it strives to build the other person up, to help them grow on their own.

When thinking of love I also thought of the word “devotion.” Miriam Webster defines devotion as “the fact or state of being ardently dedicated and loyal.” When one is loyal he never wavers from his belief. Therefore, when one is in love and dedicated they never leave their partner in the good times as well as in the bad. This makes me think of the movie, “Fireproof,” and the main theme, “You never leave your partner, especially in a fire.” The apostle Paul said it well, “Love suffers long and is kind…” (I Corinthians 13:4a) Solomon, in all of his wisdom, wrote, “Love is as strong as death.” (Song of Solomon 8:6). In other words, love is being faithful to your partner. The Marines have as their slogan, “Semper Fidelis” which in English is translated, “Always Faithful” and so it should be with love.

Love is a perfect trust in an individual. It has no fear of anything happening in the future to possibly change how the other partner feels about them. I John 4 says, “There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear…” An Irish saying goes something like this, “When mistrust comes in, love goes out.” To be fearful is not to love.

Love is the ability to watch someone fall and instead of saying, “I told you so,” or, “Why did you do that again?” it simply reaches out and picks the loved one up, dusts them off, and moves on. “Love suffers long and is kind; love does not envy; love does not parade itself, is not puffed up; does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is not provoked, thinks no evil; does not rejoice in iniquity, but rejoices in the truth; bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. (I Corinthians 13:4-7)

Probably the thing most longed for in the world is love. Everyone is looking for it, but the only way it is going to be found is through Christ, for it is only He Who holds the key to everlasting and perfect love. Jeremiah 31:3 says, “The LORD hath appeared of old unto me, saying, Yea, I have loved thee with an everlasting love: therefore with loving kindness have I drawn thee.” By looking to Jesus we will find the perfect example and only by following Him will we in turn be able to truly love others.

No comments: