Monday, October 24, 2011

Moments that Take Your Breath Away

Life's not the breaths you take,
The breathing in and out
That gets you through the day.
You just might miss the point
Trying to win the race.
Life's not the breaths you take
But the moments that take your breath away.
{George Strait}

When most people think of this song they think sweet romantic thoughts of their significant other. They get this far away dreamy look and it's not hard to figure out what they're thinking. 

Not me.

When I think of this song I think of politics. Weird, I know. But really, in the past six months I've experienced many of those breath-taking moments while working on the Mourdock for U.S. Senate campaign.

For example, the time a dear, sweet old lady thanked me for being politically active because, "Most young people your age don't care about our country."

Or when I first met Richard Mourdock.

When I had the opportunity to do six parades on July 4th weekend.

At a meet and greet in Ft. Wayne Richard called me his "campaign hero" to the entire crowd. Definitely a breath taking moment.

On my 21st birthday, throwing out the honorary first pitch at a TinCaps game proudly wearing a Mourdock t-shirt and later that evening he called me to wish me a happy birthday.

Sitting through many of Mourdock's speeches, listening to him move the crowds with his passion for what he believes is right. Watching him tear up at certain parts as he talks about things that are near and dear to his heart.

Having the opportunity to tell others about a candidate I not only think is good, but a candidate I firmly believe in and actually trust. The best part is swaying them to vote for Mourdock in May.

Driving Richard's truck in parades.

Being the first "Super Volunteer."

The best one -- standing in a circle with several others on the campaign, holding hands and praying.

The list could go on and on.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's awesome that you stand up for what you know and believe is right. You are doing a great thing, Hannah Elisabeth:)

In Christ,
Rebecca