Friday, December 30, 2011

A Legacy

Friday was the funeral for my 22 year old cousin, Zac. God chose to take him suddenly from this earth to his eternal home in heaven. No one had a chance to say good-bye, he was given no chance to make anything right, God just took him. Yet for one so young, Zac left behind a legacy that screamed of glorifying and loving God. He walked with God and he lived his life with a seriousness that is astounding. God was the center of his life. He lived and died for His glory. Everything everyone said about Zac showed his deep love for God and the people around him. The lives he touched, the people he influenced, the difference he made, all of it is amazing.

For the past week as we dealt with the shock, grief, funeral, all of it, my thoughts keeps running to the fact that Zac was only just over a year older than me. I can't tell you how much I have wept, not at the thought of his death, but at the thought of how imminent my death could be. It's so easy to think, "Eh, I'm only 21, nothing is going to happen, I have my entire life in front of me." But that is so not true. Only God knows the length of my days. It's easy to take life for granted...to assume that I'm going to live until I'm 90, it's easy to blow each day focused on the things of this world and not taking much time to focus on God and the real meaning of life -- glorifying Him. I am ashamed at how much time I spend doing what I want rather than doing what God wants me to do.

I can't get over how fast a life can be snuffed out. It a matter of mere seconds someone can go from alive and perfectly well right into eternity. (I know this is nothing new, just a new reality for me.) Life really is just a vapor, here and then gone. Sometimes that vapor lasts slightly longer than others, but still, it goes by quickly and just as quickly it disappears. What is more important, doing what I want or doing something that matters for God? Which matters more, fame and fortune or the lives of others? God calls each Christian to make an influence on the lost around us, to bring them to Him.

If I were to die tomorrow what would people say at my funeral? What would be my legacy? Would they talk about how much I loved God and wanted to serve Him? Or would they talk about what I had wanted to do? Would they say my life glorified God or would they say it glorified me?

1 comment:

Emily said...

La meilleure façon Guild Wars 2 Gold d'arrêter les joueurs de passer beaucoup de temps dans la réalisation des choses est la profession se rassemblant et la vente des tapis réelsLa chance impliquant skilling change en haut dans une bande chromatique aussi. Mais, essayez de ne pas assembler des articles gris à moins que vous ne puissiez vendre tous et faire un guilde wars 2 sortie officiel bénéfice comme un hôte à la réalisation de l'argent. Tout l'or là-bas doit se rendre quelque part, et avec des montants moindres que baisse des mobs la plupart de celui-ci vient de quêtes. Peut être acheter wow gold est un logiciel facile quand vous êtes paresseux pour faire de l'or wow par les quêtes. Il ya beaucoup de méthodes pour faire wow gold dans le World of Warcraft. guild wars 2 acheter Le moyen le plus important et fréquent peut être quêtes..