Monday, May 3, 2010

R.I.P Sherwood

Sunday, May 2, 2010, Sherwood "Woody" Drazich died of a broken neck. He lived a short, but amazing life of six years. He was my friend, companion, and most of all a fellow partner in crime, my cello.

No one knows what happened, only that I opened my case to play in the church orchestra on Sunday morning and he was broken. I cried many tears. Several people were standing around and no one knew anything about it. I put him back in his case and left. I got to church Sunday night, and the high school band teacher came to me and said, "Hannah, were you messing with your cello this afternoon?" My response was a resounding "No!" She said, "Well, come look at this..." I walked back to the music room and my cello case was laying on the floor, closed, but not latched shut, and I could see the strings hanging out of the case. I knelt down next to Woody and opened his case. His neck was completely broken off and the tail piece and bridge were also off. Again, no one claimed to know anything.

I took some pictures which were emailed to a repairman, and the estimated cost for reviving poor Woody is not worth the money. In other words, my dear Woody is dead forever.

We shared some good times together from the first day we met until his final hours. From running all over creation together, zillions of lessons, hours of practicing, many times of playing in church, at special events, in nursing homes, weddings, and just goofing off with friends, our times together were always filled with much enjoyment.

My favorite memory of Sherwood is the time that I was playing an offertory one Sunday in New York. The end pin wasn't quite right, so I moved to adjust it. Apparently, the music director, who was sitting right behind where I was playing, moved at the exact same time. Suddenly there was a loud CRACK!!!!!!!!!! Good old Woody had hit the music director in the head - HARD! It was hard enough to knock the strings horribly out of tune. By this time my pianist had already started playing the introduction to my song. Well, I unsuccessfully tried to tune him, but it was of no use. So, I played, or rather, I attempted to play. It was quite disturbing, but I made it through the song. What happened to the music director, you ask. He had a knot on his head for almost an entire week!

Woody will be missed forever and ever, but his memories will live on in the hearts of those who loved him.

The Good Times!



Rosebud said...

:( :( :(

Mama said...

That is so awful! I am sure you played the instrument beautifully! Praying the Lord provides a new one for you soon.

Mrs. Anderson

Anonymous said...

Sob :( I must say the first few cello lessons and practice session don't really bring back fond memories :) But it didn't take you long before you were playing beautiful music rather than squeaky, spine-rattling notes. I just keep thinking of Jeremiah 29:11 and how you have clung to that verse through so many hard times, and now would be another one of those times to rest in the promise that God knows the plans He has for you - even regarding a cello replacement! :)