Tuesday, January 5, 2010

What I Want in a Guy!

By a Young Woman

I am a 22-year-old girl who has met and seen my fair share of couples. I've traveled a good bit and lived with/helped out different families doing mission work. These experiences have helped me figure out who I am today, and have been instrumental in showing me what I need in a husband.

When I was 17, my cousins and friends, who are a few years older than I, all stated getting married. So I naturally thought, "Well, I guess I should get married, too, because it seems to be the next step in life." But the guy I would have married then and the guy I would marry now are two completely different types of men. I didn't even know myself yet, much less what I should look for in a man.

I think, as homeschoolers, we are raised with the idea that marriage is the next important step in the school of life. I believe that attitude limits a person. I want to do something significant with my life, including learning all I have a capacity to comprehend, all for the purpose of making an eternal difference. I encourage girls to think: What are your dreams, what do you want to do, what do you want to know? Get out and do something, whether it's starting a business, (which could include homemaking skills) or buying a piece of land. Go help out a missionary for six months. It will give you a whole new outlook on life and an appreciation for missionaries! It will grow you, give you more confidence, and help you figure out what you need in a husband. Every man is attracted to a woman who's busy with abundant life, someone who is on the front side of making things happen.

Years ago I was chatting with a married couple who are good friends of mine, and who know me well they helped me figure out what I personally needed in a man. I wrote a list that day of five things I most need in a man!

1. I know that I need a Strong Leader who's not going to let me shove him around. I want someone who is going to stand up and be the man!
2. Yet I need someone who is Open-minded, who will listen to all my crazy theories about life!
3. He needs to be Passionate, so that whatever he does, he does it with a fire under his boots!
4. I want him to be Spontaneous, full of zeal about life, and not afraid to jump into an adventure. I am a very enthusiastic person, and I love to do things on the spur of the moment. I want to marry someone I can jump on board with!
5. And I must have a man who Loves and Honors God and is already actively serving the Lord and has a deep-seated vision for life.

2 comments:

Kylo said...

Even thought I can't fully identify with this article (for obvious reasons), that list at the end has very good points in it.

-Kylo

Amanda said...

Completely right...thanks for posting. :)