Saturday, December 25, 2010

Not Exactly the Merriest

As I write this I am sitting in the hospital with mom, she was supposed to come home today, but that did not happen. I am not going to lie, it has been a pretty bleak Christmas - after all, who in their right mind wants to be at the hospital on Christmas? We are supposed to be home, opening presents, eating food, laughing, and spending time with family.
It is really easy to have a pity party and moan and complain - in fact I keep catching myself doing that. However, I try to remind myself that really, things could be a lot worse, so I made a list of things I am thankful for throughout this time.
  • We are together as a family.
  • We are warm and dry.
  • Mom will eventually be fine.
  • There are a lot of good nurses who are taking good care of mom.
  • Mom's doctor, Dr. Simon, is really good, and a Christian.
  • We have lots of friends who keep checking up on us.
  • God has a reason for this - even though we do not see it at the moment.
  • We have a white Christmas.
  • I made it home safely, even though I drove through the wee hours of the night.
  • No matter what happens, God is still on the Throne.
That was not a long or exhaustive list, but it is a start. Life happens and you have the choice of either becoming depressed and bitter about it or choosing to find the positive somewhere. Honestly, it is somewhat difficult at times to look on the bright side, but when I choose to see the good life looks brighter. I hope and pray that all of you had a very merry and blessed Christmas with friends and loved ones gathered around.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

We have been praying for you all! I am so glad you are trying to see the good in life no matter what it brings. God uses all of these happy and difficult experiences to mold us into His useable vessel. -We have a friend who is 18 yrs old that just a week ago found out his cancer has come back. Through all of this trial he still loves Jesus and knows He has a plan. - You are so right that at times its so hard to understand "WHY". But something that I have been clinging to lately is that God never asks us to understand... but to BELIEVE. You are learning so much about life right now, Hannah. Keep soaking it in and letting God mold you. Just believe that His way is best no matter how hard it is to undertand. He will bless you. Lotslove!