Monday, February 21, 2011

Contemplating God

Have you ever sat down and contemplated God? I mean really think about Him? He has so many aspects. He is all powerful, all knowing, loving, caring, compassionate, righteous, true, pure, holy, omnipresent, just, glorious, patient, wonderful and on the list could go. In my mind it is easy to think of Him as a creature that is so big, but distant. The best I can relate that feeling to is the President. He's powerful, a leader, and there isn't much of a chance that I will ever get to meet him, let alone have a personal, one-on-one relationship with him. God is not that way. God may be big, but He longs to know each one of His children on a personal level.

God is not some creature up in Heaven sitting back and watching the happenings in the world, unconcerned, and unattached. Rather, He is right here on earth in spirit with His children. He longs for a close, personal relationship with us. I fear that often we go through life forgetting that He is there and totally blowing Him off. But patiently He waits, softly calling our name until we realize that He is there and how wonderful being with Him can be. When we embark on an intimate relationship with God He blows us away with how He treats us.

"God loves each one of us as if there were only one of us." ~St. Augustine Just think about that, God has many children, but yet He takes time for me and treats me as if I am His only child. The hymn "In the Garden" says is well, "And He walks with me, and He talks with me, and He tells me I am His own. And the joy we share as we tarry there, none other can ever know." Sadly, I think we often pass up that precious relationship because we have other things on our mind. Out of a sheer lack of appreciation God is pushed off and we forfeit a sweet, close relationship with Him.

"Because he has set his love upon Me [God], therefore I will deliver him; I will set him on high, because he has known My name." ~Psalm 91:14

No comments: