Saturday, February 7, 2009

WOW!!! Yesterday was quite the day! It was jam packed with excitement, and laughter and good times. I don't think I will every forget it.
6:30 yesterday morning found us loading up into vans and cars to head to New England Baptist College in Connecticut. We arrived there about 9:30ish, had chapel with them, and then BASKETBALL!!!! It was a crazy game in which New England once again beat us, only this time the score was 80-65! YIKES! Oh well, it was a chance to get out, have fun, and NO classes!!
From CT, Grandpa and I went to Queens. It got a little confusing cuz grandpa missed a turn off, so we had to find our way back around. I hate city driving...it's VERY confusing! We got onto the subway at Queens, thankfully there was a really helpful lady that helped us find where we needed to change subways. The New York subway system is very confusing, and unless you know how it works, good luck! We got off the subway at 57th street and 7th avenue. Right where Carnegie hall is located! The building is GORGEOUS! I went in a bought tickets. Because I am a student I could get two $10 tickets! SOOOO COOL!! We met up with my friend, Alan Harrell, he was able to get us back stage and up onto the stage! It was amazing! So beautiful! We were able to go to dinner with him. It was fun to be able to spend time chatting, and remembering some fun MasterWorks experiences.
We parted ways around 6:45. Grandpa and I went back to Carnegie and sat inside where it was warm. We had to wait until 7:00 before the doors would open, and 7:30 before we could get to our seats. It was really cool walking around some of the halls. There are lots of cool original scores, and handwritten notes from composers on the walls.
Our seats were way up at the top in the center balcony. Thy were in the 4th row of the balcony. They really weren't bad seats, and especially not for $10 a ticket! The first piece that was played was the New York premier of George Benjamin's Duet for Piano and Orchestra. It was BAD!! Alan had told us at supper that is would was a bad piece. It was only 15 minutes, I've never heard such a short piano concerto. It was interesting to say the least! The second piece that the orchestra played was Symphony No. 7 in C Major, Op. 60, "Leningrad" by Dmitri Shastakovich. It was stunning! I've never heard anything like it in my life! The orchestra seemed to sing. AMAZING! It was the best concert I've heard in my life!
After the concert we went around behind Carnegie and said goodbye to Alan, and then Grandpa and I went to Star Bucks. It was good and kept us awake until we got home. We got back on the subway and rode back to Queens, picked up the car, and got back to Stony Brook right at midnight. It was a wonderful trip, and I will never, ever forget it! WOW!
For some reason my internet is being funky, so I can't post any pictures right now. I will do it as soon as possible. :( Sorry about that!